WHY IT WORKS
1. It starts with the assumption of no prior knowledge … and builds from the known to the unknown in an incremental and cumulative wayso that even underachieving students go from success to success.
2. One of its goals (and effects) is to make students owners of at least ten of the ways sentences can beginother texts have overlooked this as an area of instruction. (When other texts speak of the “patterns of the sentence,” their sole concern is for the elements that can follow a verb.)
3. Its primary method of teaching ownership of sentence structure is to have students actively experience the roles and boundaries of the key sentence components; they rearrange sentence parts for this purpose.
4. A foremost goal is so to immerse students in the structure of the sentence that they become owners of its parts and controllers of how correctly and tellingly they express themselvesunlike programs that are so concerned with rules that they do not teach the backdrop that helps the rules make sense and stick.
5. Its primary stress is on the roles of word groupsas opposed to those of individual wordsas performers of grammatical function.
6. Its strategies for finding verb units are failsafe.
7. It teaches and uses the verb as the key to unlocking and mastering the sentence and its structure.
8. Its exercise material repeatedly offers insightful and/or uplifting content.
9. Its primary strategy for introducing new concepts is to list and illustrate the truths that underlie and clarify these concepts.
10. It has achieved a verifiable and consistent trueness to the way our language really works.